Growing in coconut husks: Damian Hinkson is the co-founder of Baird’s Village Aquaponics Association in Barbados. Check out this episode and learn how Damian scaled his aquaponics system from a thousand gallons to 10,000 gallons in an effort to promote aquaponic food production to his island community. Damian shares about doing aquaponics with very limited resources on an island, use of coconut husks as a medium for plant roots, and some challenges that he had to overcome. He also talks about seeding and how he basically set up the system in a way that prevents him from constantly flooding the system.
In this episode, you will learn more about the 3 categories of people doing aquaponics, circular tanks and sump tanks, drying time for beds, compost teas, molasses, venturis and low-density systems, wicking beds, water lettuce for filtration and more!
Check out the interesting things Damian is doing with no water testing and no aeration yet he still has managed to successfully run a commercial aquaponics system with low operating cost. Plus, know more about Damian’s up-coming project to turning his 10,000-gallon system into a 30,000-gallon system!
Read Full Show Notes
40: Island Aquaponics: Using Coconut Husks as a Medium w/ Damian Hinkson of Baird’s Village Aquaponics Association
Here’s what you’ll learn from this episode:
- Damian is in the process of building a fully commercial 30,000-gallon system
- Fish and plants he grows in his system
- Sweet peppers
- The cost of designing an aquaponics system with limited resources
- Check out how he incorporated coconut husks in the system
- Using coconut husks on a commercial scale: Is it feasible?
- Some challenges with using coconut husks
- Constant watering / flood & drain
- How Damian’s system works
- The 3 categories of aquaponicists:
- Commercialist – Aquaponics business or aquaponics farming
- Why Damian is using circular tanks
- Find out what Damian learned about designing aquaponics systems in developing countries
- Discover Damian’s drying time for beds
- Damian recommends reading the book Teaming with Microbes
- Unique things in the system:
- Compost teas
- How does Damian run his fish system?
- Check out what Damian uses for filtration!
- Find out what certain kinds of produce they’re selling
- Decreased labor hours for aquaponics system resulting to low operating cost
- How to “design systems for the farmer”
“I’ve been running the system and showing to other locals in an effort to promote aquaponic food production on their own.” – Damian Hinkson
“Aquaponics system based on coconut husks is a lot more easier for a commercial farmer to set.” – Damian Hinkson
“When I look at aquaponics, my main aim is to produce a substantial amount of produce in aquaponics.” – Damian Hinkson
“You will find a lot of non-farmers into aquaponics. Their systems are very scientific.” – Damian Hinkson
“The developed world designs aquaponics systems for the needs of the biomass only… they don’t ever consider the needs of the farmer.” – Damian Hinkson
Resources/links to websites:
Check out previous episodes with Damian:
- 37: Starting Aquaponics in Barbados with Damian Hinkson of Baird’s Village Aquaponics Association
- 39: Decoupled Systems and Fermented Culinary Herbs for Pest Management with Damian Hinkson of Baird’s Village Aquaponics Association
Send Damian an email through email@example.com
Or call 12468301266
Or search for Damian Hinkson on Skype